Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My New Year

In the past few years New Years has meant nothing to me. I don't write resolutions because I feel like that's setting myself up to break them, so I just make goals randomly through out the year. However, this year feels SO different! I don't know what it is, but I feel like this year holds so much potential, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Instead of writing lists of resolutions, a couple of my friends wrote their goals for this year out in one word. I thought this was a really great idea, but wasn't really for me. Since this is my first year in a long time even writing resolutions I figured I should stick to the list and then maybe in a couple of years I will try it that way. As I thought about the goals I have made though, I did think of one word that summed up most of them: LOVE. That didn't quite encompass everything I want for this year though so I added one more: LEARN.

LOVE: I have spent the past few years being really bitter and self-centered. I don't know why. I just have. I have had opportunities to make life long friendships with people I absolutely adore, and have completely let them slip away. I haven't kept in touch with friends I do have, and I've held grudges toward people I care deeply for and let that hurt our relationship. Until a month ago I had never done my visiting teaching unless my partner set it up because I was too afraid to take charge. I'm totally sick of this. I don't want to be that kind of person. So this year I've decided, or better yet, resolved!, to open my heart. I want to lose myself in loving other people. Because I really do love people! I just really stink at showing it. I want to stop being shy and closed off, I want to make friendships and nurture the relationships I am so blessed to have.

LEARN: And for the other half of my 2014, there is so much I want to learn! Like I said I feel like there is so much potential this year, and I want to use it well. I am going to stop shying away from learning new things. For instance, I haven't blogged in years because I don't know how to design my blog the way I want. But I'm going to learn! I have a new camera and I am going to get as good as I can at using it. And I have more....

Anyway though I am so excited for this year! No more avoiding life and all the goodness it holds. I am going to love and learn till I don't have room to be bitter and stagnant anymore!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kristi, I am so glad that you are blogging! It gives me a great way to keep up with you and your adorable family! I had no idea that you were even capable of being bitter and self-centered! Generally when I think of the kind of woman and mother that I want to be, you pop into my head. You really do stand as a shining example of righteousness. I love your goals, they are great! I actually have a similar one to your LOVE goal. Good luck and Happy New Year! Oh, and we will need to talk photography sometimes, there is so much to learn, it is nice to have someone with fresh ideas and perspectives!

    ReplyDelete